Day 2 of the conference began with Hildelies Balk-Pennington de Jongh thanking the sponsors ABBYY and Planman, without whom the conference would not be possible.She then provided us with her own summary of the previous day’s key messages.
- When accessing collections digital always wins
- Improving access is imperative!
- Larger volumes often pose problems, indexing will often grind to a halt
- Do not economise on the quality of your images, they will be the basis for future OCR improvement
- In IMPACT all individual steps in digitisation workflow has already been made better, faster or cheaper
- First productive OCR test in 17th Century Newspapers already 15% more words found
- Post correction will always be necessary
- For correction we need the crowd
- What will be do with the mountains of information, it may become too big to search efficiently!
The messages led succinctly into introductions of the day two speakers.