The Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes is a digital library founded in 1999 promoting the access to Spanish culture. Supported by the Universidad de Alicante and Banco Santander, it hosts a R&D department with the following strengths:
- Support for the implementation of FRBR modelling and conversion between metadata schemes (MARC21, ISAD(G)).
- Creation of critical editions in digital format, structural markup (XML and TEI).
- Lexicon building for Latin and Romance languages; quality assurance of ground-truth creation.
- Digital edition (e-book) and layout design.
- Implementation of search engines and query services for specific digital repositories.
- Web accesibilty (consultancy, generation of reports, adaption of websites).
- Implementation of software platforms for the dissemiantion of digital libraries and repositories.
- Interoperable web services for the exploitation of digital content.
- Linguistic intelligence applied to digital content (machine translation, lexical analysis).
- Semantic web and linked data applications.
- Application of BPM technologies (Business Process Management) to digitisation proceses.
Universidad de Alicante is also providing the following tools and data:
- More than 11.000 ground truthed pages.
- A historical corpus for Spanish.
- A historical lexicon for Spanish.